GWHS DANCE CONCERT 2016: April 28 & 29 @ 7:30 pm, April 30 @ 2 pm
GWHS Dance Concert 2016
Dance: Beginning, Intermediate, & Advanced (GWHS Dance Company)
- GWHS is proud to have a complete dance program offering courses in beginning dance, intermediate dance, and the GWHS Dance Company (advanced dance).
- The Dance Company performs in the annual Dance Concert, Great America, Marching Band Football Halftime show, Vision Series Modern Dance Festival at The Cowell Theater @ Fort Mason, GWHS rallies, VAPA assemblies, Battle of the Birds Basketball Halftime show, Young at Art, SFGH holiday Showcase, benefits, and at other schools and festivals throughout the year.
- Students can take dance to satisfy the Visual and Performing Arts graduation requirement, and to demonstrate that they are well-rounded and artistic students.
- All dance students have the opportunity to perform in the annual Spring Dance Concert:
- A GWHS TRADITION FOR OVER 45 YEARS!
- OUR 2016 DANCE CONCERT DATES:
- Thursday April 28 @ 7:30 PM, Friday April 29 @ 7:30 PM, and Saturday April 30 @ 2 PM.
- (Enter at 30th Avenue & Anza Street Gate for all GWHS performances.)
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Students will be able to:
- Study jazz dance, hip-hop, ballet, contemporary dance, musical theater, and various ethnic dance forms.
- Learn a variety of cultural dances in order to embrace the diversity within our classroom and the world at large.
- Collaborate on choreography in small groups throughout the year (showing a variety of dance styles and expanding one’s versatility and artistry as a dancer, choreographer, and performer).
- Self-reflect in a written format upon completion of individual or group performance tests.
- Enhance their fitness level, strength, muscle awareness, flexibility, posture, and self-esteem.
- Accurately and safely perform flexibility and strengthening exercise on their own.
- Explore and appreciate the many ways dance is utilized (musical theater, movies, live dance productions, cultural festivals, social functions, commercials, music videos, and ceremonies).
- Expand their personal music and dance repertoire.
- Learn anatomy and physiology along with injury prevention.
(These are just some of the course objectives common to all class levels)
Thank you for supporting the arts!
GWHS Director of Dance
GWHS VAPA Department Chair