General Resume Tips:
It is VERY important that:
- there are NO spelling/grammatical mistakes (have several adults proofread it!)
- you have a professional email (not firstname.lastname@example.org)
- everything is lined up perfectly
- format is consistent (headers in bold, dates look the same, etc.)
- the "objective" changes depending on the job you're applying for
- you put the most impressive stuff at the top
- you never use "I" or "me"
- you send a copy of the resume to your email so you always have it! When you get a job or volunteer somewhere, update your resume.
- if you are sending your resume as an attachment, only send a PDF file. Every computer has a different version of Microsoft Word and it can appear that your resume is all messed up or unreadable if you send it as a Word .doc
- your references are teachers/former supervisors/coaches/mentors (no friends or familiy)
- your references know that they are your references! Ask them first, then let them know if you are applying for a job so they can be prepared to talk to a potential employer.
- you have 3 references. If you don’t want to list them on your resume (because there is no room) you can put your reference info on a separate page ready to go
- you don't lie to make yourself look better
Please email (on School Loop) or come see me if you have any questions.
Do not send out a resume before it is absolutely flawless...you never have a second chance to make a first impression!
Sample Student Resume
Here is a great student resume. Keep the formatting the same and just input your information directly!